You must pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) if you buy a property or land over a certain price in England and Northern Ireland.
You pay the tax when you:
- buy a freehold property
- buy a new or existing leasehold
- buy a property through a shared-ownership scheme
- are transferred land or property in exchange for payment, e.g. you take on a mortgage or buy a share in a house
How much you pay depends on whether the land or property is:
- residential and whether you’re a first-time buyer
- non-residential or mixed use
You can use HM Revenue and Customs’ (HMRC) Stamp Duty Land Tax calculator to work out how much tax you’ll pay.