Thu 16 Dec 2021
Are you a homeowner in Benfleet looking to add value to their property? House extensions and renovations are pretty much guaranteed to do the job.
But what if you’re a homeowner without the time and/or budget to invest in a full-blown extension?
We often get landlords asking us this very question: how can I add value to my property with minimal effort and a limited budget?
So, the team at Williams and Donovan estate agents have put our heads together and come up with five easy ways to do just that.
Here’s how to increase your property value in Benfleet without breaking the bank or investing too much time:
1. Start by focusing on your kitchen
Everyone calls the kitchen the ‘heart of the home’ for a reason.
It's the main hub of the home, the place we spend the most time when we're indoors.
From cooking meals or having breakfast, to getting back home from school or back from work or where you make your cup of tea or coffee during the day. It's where you get together socially. Let's not forget those kitchen lockdown parties and family zoom calls.
This is why potential buyers value it so much. If your budget only stretches to one single property improvement, make it the kitchen.
A great kitchen can add as much as 4% to the value of your home, and a dated kitchen can easily turn buyers off.
Here are some easy kitchen improvement ideas that can add value:
- Invest in modern worktop surfaces – check out Pinterest for some kitchen worktop inspiration
- Get new kitchen tiles – be bold and opt for a few more striking patterned tiles to create a statement backsplash
- Paint your cupboard doors
- Swap the cupboard door knobs for quirky ones
You might think they’re all just small changes... Re-vamped together, they can really help to spruce up a tired-looking kitchen!
2. Add more storage space
Never underestimate the appeal of lots of storage space for home buyers.
This is the one thing that we notice time and time again – buyers can easily be turned off a property if they discover that there just isn’t enough storage space.
So, how do you deal with this issue if you simply haven’t got the space?
Here’s how to add extra storage to your home in Benfleet when space (and budget) is limited:
- Make use of all that space on blank walls by building shelves. Shelves are much easier to put up than you might think!
- Work out what you can do with any unused nooks and crannies. For instance, the dead space underneath your stairs. Could you add a cupboard there?
- If you've got no idea where you can add extra storage and you've exhausted all your options - then study the layout of your property layout, and you may just discover dead space you didn’t even realise existed!
3. Make your home more energy efficient
This has been a huge topic recently. In this eco-conscious day and age, more and more home buyers are interested in finding out how energy efficient a property is before they invest in it.
This doesn’t just stem out of concern for the environment though. An energy-efficient home can also save you a considerable amount on energy bills.
Landlords, make your home more energy-efficient and you’ll instantly make your property more appealing to many renters. Here’s how:
- Make sure all windows and doors are double glazed for effective insulation
- Invest in a heating system with easily adjustable settings so that comfortable temperatures won’t mean racking up bills
- Choose an eco-friendly paint brand for any decorating jobs
- Invest in LED lights and solar panel heating
These improvements come at a cost, but they’ll benefit your wallet, and our planet, in the long term.
4. Create a more open-plan home
Are you working with a smaller property? Create the illusion of more space by knocking down a few walls. When doing this effectively, you could boost the value of your Benfleet property without any extensions. Modern buyers are attracted to open-plan layouts, which can make a smaller flat or house look more spacious and make it easier for them to move around.
Don’t attempt this yourself though. We recommend consulting a local residential architect who can show you how to do this to maximise the space in your property.
5. Find out what home movers in the Benfleet area are looking for
Not quite sure where to start? Have a chat with our Benfleet team at Williams and Donovan as we know your area! We have a good understanding of what home movers in your neighbourhood are interested in.
Give Lloyd, Darren, Kay, Anita or Leigh a call today.
We can also help with recommendations of local suppliers that can offer you great deals on any small renovations and extensions that can add value.
Give us a call today on 01268 755252 and a member of our friendly and experienced team will be happy to speak with you further. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com